Gender and Social Inclusion
Women and girls need to understand and recognize how unequal power balance and community gender stereotypes might affect their development and the relationships around them. The project is aimed at promotion of women empowerment through gender mainstreaming. This will be done through promotion of women participation in community affairs through leadership quality development and critical engagement with local government with evidence-based policy advocacy for the gender responsive development impacts.
The project will follow a three-pronged approach
Empowerment: This will implement measures against gender-based discrimination and disadvantages and promote specific activities to strengthen women’s rights.
Policy dialogue: Establish policy dialogues at local and provincial government bodies with support from local elected women leaders for gender responsive inclusive development initiatives and policy advice on the strengthening of women’s rights and gender equality.
Gender mainstreaming: Incorporate Gender in all our strategies, indicators and in all sectors as cross-cutting issues
Furthermore, this project will complement SDG – 5 as a global target and national targets set by the government of Nepal in its national strategy.
Considering women’s social status of having minimal decision making power and low socio-economic and political empowerment, LWF Nepal, Caritas Nepal, INF Nepal and ADRA Nepal jointly signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to strengthen women’s rights, women empowerment and gender equality within their existing Australian NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP) funded projects. Hence, this project will be integrated in existing ANCP projects of respective organisations
Donors Australian Government through Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and ADRA Australia
Implementing Partners Rupantaran and Fulvari Integrated Rural Development Organization (FIRDO Nepal)
Budget (in USD)
July 2018 to June 2021
The geographic area of the project
Province-5, Pyuthan district, Swargadwari Municipality
Number of Beneficiaries
The Goal of the project
To advance the position of women in rural Nepal to effectively contribute to good governance and inclusive development
Outcomes Outcome 1
Strengthened pathways for gender equality (access, empowerment and advocacy) within organisations and communities
Gender equality in terms of staﬃng and outreach in project interventions
Gender network operating among participating partner NGOs
• Women activists from the marginalized community capacitated and mobilized
• Target communities increased their access to government services and resources.
• Local government representatives participated in gender responsive planning and budgeting of the local resources
• Gender responsive policy of LPOs/CSOs revised, updated and implemented.
• LPOs/CSOs enhanced skill on gender analysis and identified gaps for advocacy initiatives
• Gender focal person at local, and national levels
• Functional linkages/networking of LPOs with other HR alliances established at district levels
• Sharing of best practices and lessons learnt among organisations